The cool weather of autumn brings more than just apples and pumpkins to the market - it brings the mushrooms! The summer months are just too hot for mushroom production. Angie and Angela from Oley Valley Mushrooms are back at market and you will love to watch their selection of mushrooms grow! Angie is a great cook and passed this delicious recipe along to all to enjoy:
Hungarian Mushroom Soup (compliments of Moosewood Cookbook!)
- 1 1/2 pound mixed mushrooms,sliced 2 cups onions chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed 3 tbl all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken broth ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup milk ½ cup sour cream
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions in the butter for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the dill, paprika, soy sauce and broth. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
In a separate small bowl, whisk the milk and flour together. Pour this into the soup and stir well to blend. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Finally, stir in the salt, ground black pepper, lemon juice, parsley and sour cream. Mix together and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil. Serve immediately! Enjoy!