Contributed by: Gina Moyer, Immaculata University Nutrition Student
So if you are like me, you have seen the Romanesco at the farmers market but you don't know what to do with it? It's so pretty, but does it taste good? The answer is yes! It tastes a lot like cauliflower but is in the broccoli family. It's filled with great vitamins such as vitamins C, K, dietary fiber and cartenoids. Cartenoids are a great antioxidant!
I decided to give it a try at home and I wanted to share my recipe. By the way my kids loved to try it because it was so cool looking so there's a plus!
One head of Romanesco
2-3 cloves of fresh garlic
1 Tbsp of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut the Romanesco florets off like you would broccoli or cauliflower. Mince the garlic
3. Put the Romanesco and garlic into a ziplock bag and add olive oil and salt and pepper.
4. Shake the bag to make sure all the Romanesco is evenly coated.
5. Spread the Romanesco on the baking sheet in a single layer, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Pick up some Romanesco this weekend at the market and enjoy this wonderful, interesting looking veggie!!!!