Dreaming of Asparagus
Number one reason I can't wait for the 2017 opening of the famers markets - ASPARAGUS! It's such a short season, but what a veggie! Delicious and power packed full of nutrients including folate, and vitamins A, C, E and K. It's loaded with anti-oxidants too!
And what a versatile vegetable. You can steam it, roast it, stir-fry, saute, or eat it raw! It's delicious at every meal! In omelets and quiches at breakfast and in a wide variety of recipes for lunch and dinner!
My two favorite preparation methods for asparagus are raw in salads, or roasted to bring out the sweetness. Need some recipe ideas? Here's a few of my favorites:
- Oven-Roasted Asparagus - so simple and so delicious. Better than French fries!!! A squirt of lemon juice adds a lot, as does a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
- Shaved Asparagus Salad - so pretty and fresh
- Pickled Asparagus - this way I get to eat it well after the season!
- Asparagus and Ramp Soup - ramps, my second favorite spring edible, together here with Asparagus - what's not to love!
- Got a favorite asparagus recipe? Share it with us in the comment section!
A side note: Pee, 'er urine. OK - let's have a frank talk, here, not at the dinner table, about the after effects of asparagus. Yep, asparagus can make your urine smell. Asparagus contains asparagusic acid, and when our bodies break down this acid a lot of sulfur containing compounds are produced creating the smell when you pee. It's not bad for you, and a small price to pay for such a delicious and healthy veg!
Now that I've made you hungry for asparagus, you'll have to wait until markets open next week, May 4th in Eagleview and May 6th in Malvern and Downingtown.